4 Weeks To Go
- If applicable, give your existing landlord four weeks’ notice that you’re moving out.
- Book a professional removal company (if required)
- Start collecting plenty of boxes to transport your belongings. (Check if your removal company supplies them)
- Book a reliable service company to prepare your white goods for your move.
- Sort through all your belongings get rid of any unwanted items.
- If you need new furniture or carpets – order them now and arrange delivery for when you move in.
3 Weeks To Go
- Book a professional cleaner so the property is left in good order.
- Purchase contents insurance.
- Start packing (and make sure you label all boxes clearly)
- Start taking down any fitted items that you’re taking (e.g. shelving and pictures etc.).
- If you have children or pets, arrange for someone to look after them during the move.
- Start using up any frozen food and buy small supplies until you move.
2 Weeks To Go
- Inform all service providers of your change of address, including utility companies, TV licence, DVLA, credit cards etc.
- Arrange your plants for the move and make sure they all have proper tubs to transport them in.
- Cancel deliveries of magazines, newspapers, milk etc.
- Return any borrowed items (such as library books etc.)
- De-register from your doctor, dentist and optician if you’re moving out of the area.
- Visit the post office and arrange for your post to be forwarded (you will be charged a fee for this service).
- Make a list of everyone who should know about the move and send out change of address ecards.
- Contact the DVLA to change the address on your driving licence.
- Notify then bank of any changes to direct debits and standing orders.
1 Week To Go
- Finalise arrangements with your removal company and confirm arrival times and make sure your removers have directions to your new address.
- Defrost and clean the fridge and freezer so it’s ready for the move.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed immediately at your new home (e.g. light bulbs, toiletries, kettle etc.).
- Strip beds and pack bedding.
- Set aside any items that you’re taking with you so that they don’t get loaded on the van by mistake.
- Disconnect everything from your old property, write down your meter readings and inform your utility companies.
- Check all windows are closed and doors locked.
- Before leaving, check you haven’t left anything behind.
- Hand keys into the estate agent.
- Collect the keys for your new property from your local Fresh office.