Landlords Letting Checklist
4 Weeks To Go
● If you’re leaving furniture in the property, make sure it complies with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988.
● Organise the removal any unwanted items.
IMPORTANT: TO ENSURE THAT YOUR PROPERTY COMPLIES WITH ALL SAFETY REGULATIONS YOU’LL NEED TO BOOK THE FOLLOWING ENGINEERS BEFORE THE START OF THE TENANCY:
● A Gas Safe registered engineer to assess the safety of all gas appliances.
● A qualified engineer to carry out a Portable Appliance Test (PAT) to assess the safety of all electrical appliances.
3 Weeks To Go
● Make sure that all fitted items are safe and secure.
● Organise for the property to be cleaned professionally to ensure it’s presented in good order.
2 Weeks To Go
● If applicable, mow the lawn and give any garden furniture a good clean.
● Redirect your mail (if you’re the current registered occupant of the property)
1 Week To Go
● Defrost and clean the fridge and freezer.
● Make sure that user manuals (e.g. cooker, white goods etc.) are available for the tenants to see.
● Have a read and make sure you understand the Tenancy Agreement before signing.
● Check that your tenants have signed the Tenancy Agreement and you’ve received the moving-in monies.
● Your responsibilities during the tenancy are set out in the Tenancy Agreement.
● If you’re going to manage your property yourself you will need to be on hand to deal with any potential problems your tenant may have.
● If your property is managed by us, any issues that arise will be dealt with by our Property Management Department, taking all the stress away from yourself.
End of tenancy
IF YOU’RE GOING TO MANAGE YOUR PROPERTY YOURSELF, YOU NEED TO DO THE FOLLOWING AT THE END OF THE TENANCY, HOWEVER IF YOUR PROPERTY IS BEING MANAGED BY US, WE’LL BE ABLE TO CARRY OUT THESE RESPONSIBILITIES ON YOUR BEHALF.
- Your tenant is responsible for informing the relevant service providers and the local authority that they’re leaving.
- Check that the services have been returned to your name for the start of any vacant period. If you give your Estate Agent the necessary information, they may be able to do this for you.